Championship football match despite claims one ball is bigger than the other | UK News

A championship football match has been postponed after claims the goals were two different sizes, sparking calls for an investigation.

Cardiff City’s coaching staff said one of the goals was two inches over the allowed eight feet before their clash with Wigan Athletic at the DW Stadium.

The game started seven minutes late as Cardiff caretaker manager Mark Hudson tried to raise the issue – but agreed the game should go ahead after being told an inquest would take up to two hours.

Cardiff went on to win 3-1 with their third goal hitting just below the significantly higher crossbar before going in.

“Several lads thought there was a problem with the size of the target,” Hudson said.

“One of the targets was a few inches too high.

“I think, we marked it immediately and then they had to recalibrate it because of Hawkeye (the operator of the Premier League goal line technical system).

“We were initially told we would have to wait a few hours for it to sink a few more inches, but no one wanted that.

“We decided to keep doing it, it’s the same on both sides.

“I did ask if we could attack in two games, but they didn’t.”

Ryan Allsop defends Cardiff City's goal Image: Sky Sports
Image: Sky Sports

Wigan boss Lim Richardson said it was another example of “things going on” for his side, who are yet to win at home.

“One of the goals was two inches too high and their third was over the bar … so you do the math,” Richardson said.

“It just sums up the day for us, doesn’t it.”

According to The Sun, the goals are removed by Wigan ground staff at the end of each game and then re-erected before the next game.

Cardiff won despite goalscorer Callum Robinson being forced off the pitch before half-time due to injury.

Richardson said he was “disappointed” by the result but admitted his opponent was “more calm”.

“Fair play to Cardiff and congratulations to them on the win,” he said.

Source link