Apple has warned customers that they will have to wait longer for the latest iPhone models after a contractor’s factory in central China imposed COVID restrictions.
The company’s announcement gave no details but said the factory in Zhengzhou, operated by Foxconn, had “significantly reduced capacity.”
“We now expect shipments of the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max to be lower than we had previously expected,” apple Say.
“Customers will experience longer wait times to receive their new products.”
Foxconn Technology Group earlier said it had implemented anti-virus measures on factories after the virus outbreak.
Apple and Foxconn have not previously responded to questions about how iPhone production might be affected.
Last week, the industrial zone where the factory is located was suspended for a week due to a surge in coronavirus infections in Zhengzhou and workers leaving the factory.
The lockdown is expected to cause further damage to factories.
Foxconn said in a statement that it was lowering its outlook for the current quarter due to the lockdown.
“Foxconn is now working with the government in a joint effort to contain the pandemic and return to full production as soon as possible,” Foxconn said on Monday.
It also said the provincial government has said it will “fully support” Foxconn in managing the plant’s epidemic prevention and operations.
On Sunday, the company posted on the Zhengzhou factory’s WeChat social media account that the “closed-loop” system would limit employee travel between the dormitory and the factory area to manage employee risks. Coronavirus disease spread.
“We are working closely with our suppliers to restore normal production levels while ensuring the health and safety of every worker,” Apple said.